Oct 16, 2010

Theeee Yankeeees Win! And Week 6 Picks

It’s no secret that I’m a Yankees fan, and if it was a secret, well the monkey’s out of the bottle now. I know it was only game one, but what a game one it was as a Yankees fan. I’m not just saying it because I’m a fan, but when Brett Gardner led off the top of the eighth with a head-first sliding, infield single, I had a feeling it was the start of something good. It’s October, not September, it’s magic season.

Now everyone’s going out and saying that the real heroes last night were Dustin Moseley and Joba Chamberlain, who both really held it together in their relief appearances…but you don’t win unless you put runs on the board. The heroes are Gardner, Robinson Cano, Jeter, A-Rod, Marcus Thames; the guys who got timely hits and never allowed a 5-run lead to become insurmountable. Great teams find a way to win the tough ones, and if last night wasn’t a sign of a great team, I don’t know what is.

The Rangers looked very impressive through seven innings, and it looks like we’re in for a great ALCS. On to the foosball picks…

(Lines as of Saturday afternoon)

ST. LOUIS (+8.5) over San Diego

When you look at the Rams roster you can’t help but wonder if this is really a professional football team. They came out and got smoked by the Lions last week, the freaking Lions! So why am I picking them to cover against the Chargers, who tend to hit stride at this point in the season and are close to getting Vincent Jackson back? Because the Chargers have been disgustingly inconsistent and the Rams are almost 9 point home dogs. San Diego turns the ball over a lot and despite getting destroyed by the Lions, the Rams D will bounce back against a falsely confident Chargers team. 8-8 probably wins the AFC West this year.

HOUSTON (-4.5) over Kansas City

This may be the best game of the week, and after seeing the Chiefs play the Colts tough, it’s time to take them serious. With all four AFC South teams tied at 3-2, and with tough opponents Week 6, this isn’t a must win for the Texans, but if they want to make the playoffs for the first time in their franchises history, the push has to start now.

Baltimore (+2.5) over NEW ENGLAND

I try not to be a homer, but I just don’t like the Pats. I think the Ravens have Tom Brady’s number, and I really don’t see how Deion Branch can replace Randy Moss. I get the Brady-Branch connection, I know he knows the system, and I understand that this is rejuvenating for Branch, but the reason the Pats were able to win without a number 1 receiver for all those years was their defense. They don’t have that same defense, they beat up on the Dolphins, woo-hoo, but I don’t think they can beat the Ravens by 3 on Sunday.

TAMPA BAY (+4) over New Orleans

Saints need a win, badly. The Saints also need a running back badly and quite frankly just don’t look as confident as they did a season ago. They’re still a much better team than the Bucs, but Tampa’s 3-1 and they keep finding a way to win games. I don’t think that they’re good, but momentum means a lot in the NFL and the Bucs have a lot of it, the Saints, not so much.

Atlanta (+2.5) over PHILADELPHIA

Kolb stinks. Falcons are winning big games. That won’t stop Sunday.

NY GIANTS (-10) over Detroit

I hate this game. This is a game the Giants tend to not show up for. They waxed an explosive Texans offense and have really displayed their strengths and weaknesses early on in the season. If Calvin Johnson doesn’t play I don’t see how the Lions put points on the board. Eli’s gotta play smart football and Bradshaw has to hold onto the ball, but the Giants should win this won running away.

CHICAGO (-6) over Seattle

I think the Seahawks are all smoke and mirrors and the Bears defense is legit. Seattle ranks 31st against the pass and Jay Cutler’s back.

Miami (+3) over GREEN BAY

Aaron Rodgers is hurt, Clay Matthews is hurt, and the Dolphins have the 4th best pass defense in football. They’re too well coached to not come back strong after getting demolished by the Pats at home on MNF.

PITTSBURGH (-14) over Cleveland

I really didn’t want to pick the Steelers in this one, but how could I not? Eric Mangini plugging Colt McCoy in at QB in this spot is just heartless. The Steelers defense have been the best in football this year and the Browns offense has really struggled, now they're putting in a rookie to take snaps. The Browns may get shut-out and the Steelers are good for at least 14 with their chosen quarterback coming back. I don’t think Roethlisberger will be airing it out, but this one shouldn’t be close.

NY Jets (-3) over DENVER

The writings on the wall for the Jets to lose this one. Short week, thin air, pass heavy opponent, no Revis…but as I mentioned earlier, the great teams find a way to win the tough ones. Denver is awfully one-dimensional and the Jets have a bye week coming up. Time to take care of business.

Oakland (+7) over SAN FRANCISCO

How could an 0-5 team be seven point favorites??? The Niners stink and you can’t keep saying they’ll get it together next week. I think they’ll win this one, but the Raiders aren’t that bad and like I said, the Niners stink. Raiders should cover.

Dallas (+1.5) over MINNESOTA

Dallas’s offensive line keeps getting healthier and Brett Favre keeps deteriorating. It’s a huge game for Favre, of course he’ll play, and I think after playing so well against the Jets defense on MNF the Vikes have some more confidence. Both of these teams are too good to start 1-4, but I think the Cowboys are better and want it more.

WASHINGTON (+3) over Indianapolis

Tough tough tough tough game. I hate picking against Peyton, I almost think it should be a rule, don’t pick against Peyton Manning in primetime games. But I think the Redskins D is good and that McNabb will air it out against the Colts. Peyton will air it out too (obviously), and this one may turn into who can get THE stop. I like the Skins at home.

Tennessee (-3) over Jacksonville

Take the under on the points. Lots of running, lots of field goals, and probably lots of baseball that night.


Last week: 7-6-1 (still not pretty)

No comments: