Dec 17, 2010

Week 15 with Major Playoff Implications!

Surprise, Surprise...the Chargers blew out the 49ers Thursday night. While the San Diego got its sixth win in its last seven games to improve to 8-6, the Niners are now 5-9 and still not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs! It's only a matter of time, and while the Chargers may be one of the NFL's best teams, if you watched the 49ers last night there's no way that that team belongs in the postseason. There's no reason for me to continue talking about the losing team, the Chargers keep inching away at the banged up Chiefs and with road games at the Broncos and Bengals to close out the season, their odds at winning out look good. However, with how competitive the AFC is they may still need to get some other teams to lose a game or two, or they could be golfing in a month.

Lets take a look at the rest of Week 15's matchups...

Lines as of Friday morning, home teams in caps

Kansas City (even) over ST. LOUIS
Both teams suffered bad losses Week 14, but I don't think either of those games were necessarily indicative of how these teams will fair out moving forward. The Chiefs got killed by a surging Chargers team while playing without their quarterback, but I think it's a major problem that Matt Cassell is the deal breaker for this team. They lead the league in rushing yards, and I understand losing your QB allows the opposing defense to focus on stopping the run, but the Chiefs only ran the ball 17 times last week which is why they controlled the football for less than 20 of the games 60 minutes. I think they'll manage this game a little bit better, and while the Rams have made a commendable effort, they're only going to go as far as their rookie quarterback will take them. They may win their division but the NFC West is atrocious.

Houston (+1.5) over TENNESSEE
I think the Titans are just absolutely done. Since beating the Eagles Week 7, the Titans have been outscored by a total of 56 points and are 0-6. The Texans were down 28-7 in the third quarter against the Ravens Monday night, until Matt Schaub went absolutely nuts and led the Texans to an overtime loss on a walk-off pick six. The Texans are playing with momentum and still have so much talent. I don't expect Kerry Collins to have back-to-back good games, and since he played well last week I think he'll be back to his old ways in this divisional rivalry. Keep your eyes on Andre Johnson and Cortland Finnegan.

INDIANAPOLIS (-5) over Jackonville
We remain in the AFC South where the Colts reign on top is seriously in question as division leader Jacksonville comes into the dome. If the Colts lose their season is essentially over, which is why I don't think they'll lose, and I don't think it'll be as close as their first meeting. I keep picking against the Jags and I keep getting burnt, but I'm not going to believe the Colts aren't a playoff team until it's official. No stats, just gut, and my gut takes Peyton Manning over most options. We'll find out how good the Jaguars really are.

Arizona (+2.5) over CAROLINA
I don't know how I'm picking a team led by John Skelton, but when the other choice is a team led (under HEAVY scrutiny) by Jimmy Clausen I don't feel too terrible about it. If this game isn't blacked out locally I don't know who's going to be watching. I mean seriously, I think I'd rather watch episodes of Xena: Warrior Princess and Battlestar Galactica than this one. Let's see what Jimmy's made of, but the Panthers have been horrible and the Cardinals are still only two seasons removed from a Superbowl run (quite a reach but this game is giving me absolutely nothing to work with).

CINCINNATI (-1.5) over Cleveland
Carson Palmer is 5-0 all-time at home against the Browns and best-case scenario for Cleveland is that Colt McCoy comes back. I've repeatedly said I have a hard time picking the Browns without McCoy, but I just don't see how the Bengals could lose 11-straight games after making the playoffs last year. The Browns are playing very hard and talent doesn't necessarily prevail over effort in this league, but my hunch is the Bungals stop the bleeding for a week.

Buffalo (+5.5) over MIAMI
The Dolphins beat the Bills by five points in Week 1, and I think the Bills are a better team at this point in the season than they were in the season opener. With that said, I think the Dolphins are playing better football than they were a few weeks ago as well. They're still not eliminated from the playoff and they're a well coached team. Still, Chad Henne's been one of the worst quarterbacks in football and this team plays 10 times better on the road than they do at home. I expect them to win but not cover.

NY GIANTS (-2.5) over Philadelphia
The Eagles are playing great, and are undoubtedly one of the best teams in the league, but the Giants aren't too far behind them. As we've seen over the past few years, when the Giants are playing well on both lines they're one of the top five teams in football, and they're really controlling the line. They looked great against a less than impressive Vikings team, but I think they want revenge from their Week 11 loss to the Eagles, a game they were in until the last five minutes of the game. They're running the ball well and Eli Manning is more capable than he's performed over the last couple of games. Not to mention the Eagles defense is average at best. I don't know if the Giants can contain the Eagles speed on offense, but this game will be a big indicator of who has the power in the NFC.

DALLAS (-6) over Washington
Here's another Week 1 matchup, and oh how the tides have turned...sort of. OK, they haven't really at all, except maybe this time the Cowboys will show up. The Redskins have lost their last four games and may be better off with Jim Zorn than Mike Shanahan. I'm a Donovan McNabb guy, I can realistically say that he isn't the player/leader he once was, but I'd rather have a one-legged McNabb than Rex Grossman. I'm not in practice, I don't know if Grossman has been lighting it up, but based on past experience this guy should be holding a clip-board and nothing more unless McNabb is physically unable to step onto the field. Shanahan has done an awful job with the talent he has, and while a lot of these guys haven't performed/have gotten their diva on, he's playing too many mind games with his players and it wouldn't surprise me if he's completely lost his locker room. The 'Skins defense ranks last in the NFL in yards allowed, and the Cowboys are averaging 32 points a game since Jason Garrett took over as head coach.

Detroit (+5.5) over TAMPA BAY
I think the Buccaneers win this one but the Lions cover. I know I've been hard on Drew Stanton, but the Lions aren't terrible, they just don't win on the road and I don't necessarily expect that to end Sunday. The Bucs are undefeated against teams with losing records, and with a chance at still making the playoffs I think they'll continue to take care of business. Whether they make the playoffs or not, this has been such an encouraging season for this young team.

New Orleans (+1.5) over BALTIMORE
This game is a pick-em for me, and I think the Saints are clicking at the right time. I don't know how the Ravens defense will rebound after being embarrassed by the Texans in the fourth quarter on Monday night. With the talent the Ravens have they could really bounce back, but the Saints offense is almost as explosive as the Texans and I think they will be able to spread the field against the Ravens, who have only lost to Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, and Ben Roethlisberger (Carson Palmer really doesn't help prove my point). Drew Brees is as elite as those guys and he has the Saints playing their best football of the season at the right time.

SEATTLE (+6) over Atlanta
I believe way too much in the Seahawks homefield advantage, but realistically, someone has to win the NFC West and the Cardinals, 49ers, and Rams don't really feel like playoff teams to me. Not to say the Seahawks do, but at least they have a quarterback who's been to the Superbowl. The Falcons have been so good, and this is a game they should win, but I think it has trap-game written all over it. Seattle is quite a hike from Atlanta, and as good as Matt Ryan's been, this will be a true test for him and his first place Falcons.

NY Jets (+6) over PITTSBURGH
Hooommmmerrrr, hooommmmerrrrrrr. Yep, total homer pick. Everybody's waiting for the Jets to collapse. It's almost a lock that they'll lose to the Steelers and Bears on the road, and who knows, they are the Jets, they'll probably be upset by the Bills at home too. Wrong. Or you know what, maybe it's not wrong. But if this Jets team is any different from the same ole Jets, they'll take advantage of a Steelers team missing their leader on defense (not like they're that much worse without Troy Polamalu) and with a hobbled Ben Roethlisberger taking the snaps. As long as the play calling doesn't allow Mark Sanchez to lose this game, this is a winnable game for a Jets team that DESPERATELY needs a win. I understand how that last comment will be criticized, and if the Jets come out and lay another egg like they have in their last two games then I need to wake up and smell the coffee, but this is a team that started 9-2 (I don't care who they played, they started 9-2) and was 30 minutes away from the Superbowl last season. They're no slouches, they're just playing like slouches, and if they can't get their acts together this week then they'll be lucky to back their way into the playoffs again. This isn't the most important game of the season for the Jets, but if they no-show again this week then a team who was once considered a championship contender will prove that they didn't deserve any of the attention that they received, and that they're a circus show being run by clowns.

OAKLAND (-7) over Denver
Relax guys, it isn't Tim Tebow time...yet. Realistically, it probably never will be. The guy's like the Henry Rowengartner of the NFL (minus the miracle arm), we all want to see him play but I don't know that anyone thinks he's capable of being good. I've wasted too much time already talking about Tebow, but the Broncos haven't really given us anything else to talk about. The last time these two teams met the Raiders spanked the Broncos 59-0, in Denver no less. The Broncos are just a complete disaster and the Raiders are fighting for a playoff spot, but more realistically a winning or even record.

NEW ENGLAND (-12) over Green Bay
How can anyone pick against the Patriots right now? I mean, 12 points probably doesn't even do justice to how flat-out brilliant the Pats have looked since their Week 9 loss to the Browns. While the Packers defense has been pretty good, I don't think anyone can stop the Patriots offense, and playing without Aaron Rodgers just means the Packers offense will not get going Sunday night and it'll just be another awful primetime television game. Sorry cheese heads, Matt Flynn equals no win.

MINNESOTA (+7) over Chicago
From one dreadful NFC North quarterback situation to another, what's the deal with Jay Cutler? Just kidding. Joe Webb? Really? How could the Vikings not have four quarterbacks (or at least 3) on their roster going into the season with the ageless, painless wonder Brett Favre? I may change this pick before the game on Monday night, and if I do I'll let you know. I fully expect the Bears to win this game, but if it's a 3-0, or 7-3 game I will not be surprised. Minnesota will have absolutely zero going on offense, but luckily for them the field conditions are expected to be worse than horrendous. I don't have much confidence in the Bears in this situation, but they'll be playing against a QB who may not be good enough to play in the CFL. They signed Patrick Ramsey for goodness sake to backup wide receiver, I mean quarterback Joe Webb. Things are looking pretty miserable for the Vikings, but luckily for them they'll be at the same disadvantage as the Bears as they may as well be playing the game in a hockey rink from what I'm hearing about TCF Bank Stadium. I'll gladly take the under on 42 points.

Enjoy the festivities

Last Week: Do i really have to tell you? Cough 4-11-1 cough (worst...week...ever!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Soo...umm...yea this is awkward. Last week happened, I'm over it...at least I didn't go 4-11-1 and I can boast a big win at 6-10.

Here are this week's picks:

WIN #1 - I'm counting a win for San Diego -9 because I bet on it and won $$$.

St. Louis EVEN - I liked this line better when it was +1 for StL, but I think this is the part of the season when the Chiefs choke and the Rams ascend to dominance in a really tough NFC West...

Houston +1.5 - Totally agree with Jared on this one, the Texans still have some fight and fire power while the Titans are donezo.

Jacksonville +5 - Something smells about this pick...smells like an upset. Indy has struggled this year against teams that can run the ball...Merry Christmas MJD.

Arizona +2.5 - Carolina sucks bad...and Derek Anderson takes this Sh*t seriously so I'm gonna pick the team that he is on.

Cleveland +1.5 - Browns win the Toilet Bowl of Ohio!!

Buffalo +5.5 - The Dolphins play terrible at home and the Bills have been a tough out this season. I like the Bills to loosen up in the South Florida sun and keep it too close for comfort.

Philadelphia +2.5 - Coin flip and it landed on Philly.

Washington +6 - There's no logical reason to trust Washington with any confidence here so of course I love this pick.

Detroit +5.5 - I like my Lions who are 10-3 against the spread this year...if only that were their actual record...

Ner Orleans +1.5 - Something about the way Saints are playing right now remind me of their run last year. I don't like them to repeat this year but I think they go to Baltimore this week and impress again.

Atlanta -6 - The Falcons will dominate this game and win by double digits...end-o-story. Stone Cold Lead Pipe Lock of the Century.

Pittsburgh -6 - You are a homer Jared and your JETS are slippin...Pitt wins big at home.

Denver +7 - There's no logical reason that Denver will keep this game close but for some strange reason I like them in this one.

Green Bay +12 - I have no idea where you found this spread from, but I have to believe that the Pack won't get beat by 12.

Chicago -7 - Again, I have no idea where you found this spread from, but I look for da Bears to bounce back in a big way this week.