Jun 29, 2008

Way to go Walsh and Co.

They took the Italian, it's that simple. If I were writing this last Thursday when it happened live I don't think my demeanor would be quite this calm, but after a few days of letting it set in, finding new things to be upset about, and some quality venting, I came to the conclusion I normally arrive at when it comes to things that upset me and are out of my control ; it is what it is.

I'm going to try really hard not to let this be a venting session, but I'm still really unhappy with the Knicks selecting Danilo Gallinari with the sixth overall pick in the NBA draft. I'm purchasing my potential bandwagon exempt card right now by saying I'm not totally upset over Gallinari, the Knicks' selection, but I'm more upset about the guys that the Knicks passed up, specifically Eric Gordon and Jerryd Bayless.

What my beloved 'Bockers got was an overseas stud. A guy with size, stroke, and smarts - so I've been told. Danilo's father, Vittorio Gallinari, played pro-ball in Italy with new Knicks' coach Mike D'Antoni, which makes the selection a bit more comforting, that is unless D'Antoni is in on that destroy the Knicks conspiracy (see: Thomas, Isiah and Brown, Larry). Coach likes the pick, and GM Donnie Walsh likes the pick, and these really are two exceptional basketball minds. The Knicks may be getting a youngster who's up-and-coming, improving everyday, and in line to be the next big thing out of Europe, but is that what they want? More importantly, is that what they need?

I think the answer to both my questions is no. Of course the Knicks could use more talent, and Gallinari may end up being a great talent, but raise your hand if you've ever seen him play? The Knicks are already a huge mess, a project to be kind, so why did they want to use the highest pick they've had in over 20 years on another project? Yes every player in the draft pool is a project, but why not take a guy who has produced on a bigger stage? Who's been groomed to play in the NBA their whole life. Someone the fans will enjoy watching and relating to because they actually know who they are and have seen them play. This organization needs to save face in the worst way, IMMEDIATELY, and they went out and took a guy who probably won't make an impact for at least a couple of seasons. Or, he may be the next Nikoloz Tskitishvili and never live up to the hype, be a waste of a top pick, and make us Knicks fans literally want to gauge our eyes out while Eric Gordon is giving other teams 20-plus points a night.

The Knicks need help at every position. The talent is there but the chemistry is not. The team is being run by a man whose offensive mantra is 7 seconds or less. Hello? Don't you think it would make sense to pick a guy who scored 20 points a game as a freshman in the toughest defensive conference in college basketball, with an injured wristfor a good portion of the season? Gordon doesn't have point guard handle, but can you tell me teaming him with Jamal Crawford in the backcourt isn't an arm and a leg better than Mardy Collins and Fred Jones...combined?

Fine, you don't want Gordon, what's the matter with Bayless? Or even DJ Augustin? Why don't the Knicks want to take a point guard, quick as lightning, that can score? Don't give me this Stephon Marbury jargon, that got tired four years ago. And even if Steph can be talked into playing, his contracts up after this season and the Tom Cruise of the NBA has made it clear that he's ready to get out of the Association...good riddance.

The bottom line is the Knicks were in trouble heading into the draft, and they're in about the same trouble heading out of it. I'm not going to sit here and say dump the whole team, although I wish it were possible. Would I have liked to see the Knicks do more on draft night? Of course. But for some stupid reason I have faith that Walsh and company will make moves when a right move is in place, which will hopefully be more efficient than Isiah and his itchy trigger finger. However, I still don't feel any better about this team right now than I did before the draft, and that's sad.

I honestly would have done cartwheels had the Knicks taken Gordon. What I'd give to have a talented scorer like that, something I haven't seen in orange and blue since Spree (sorry JC). I'd have loved to see Bayless run the show, and exciting floor general for once. But it's more of the same in Gotham. Same roster, same disappointment.

No comments: