Feb 3, 2011

Super Bowl XLV, 2011 NBA All-Star Game...I don't know if we'll have enough time!

With Super Bowl XLV about three days away, I thought it was about time that I gave my two cents on the showdown, as well as discuss the week leading up to the big game. I'm more excited for this Super Bowl than I've been probably since the Patriots/Eagles game back in 2005, and I really think this game is a toss up.

But I'm going with the Steelers. Just how I think dominant big men win championships in the NBA, I think solid running and dominant defense does it in the NFL. The Packers do have a very, very good defense, and the NFL seems to be turning into more of a passing league than a running league, but I still like the Steelers.

I don't think the fact that over two-thirds of the Steelers roster has played in a Super Bowl makes that big of a difference, but I think Ben Roethlisberger having two championships does. Big Ben has a knack for making the big play, and in a season centered around his life off the field, I just have a feeling he's going to let his play decide what kind of a year 2010 really was for him.

And as I mentioned earlier, the Steelers defense is just dominant. As good as Aaron Rodgers has been and really is, I don't know that he's ready for what he's going to see Sunday. Rodgers looked like the best quarterback in football against the Eagles and Falcons, but the aggressive Bears defense picked him off twice while not allowing him to throw for any scores. I know this was the third time the Bears saw Rodgers this season, but if he thought the Bears were aggressive wait until he lines up across from James Harrison and company.

I think Rodgers will benefit from playing in Jerry's dome Sunday, and I do like the Packers defensive line A LOT, but I'm not going back on my pick. While I think the Packers roster is filled with incredible talent and legitimate difference makers, I think the Steelers simply have more big-time players and more importantly, big-game winners. I'm not completely confident in my pick (as you can tell by the positives I'm reeling off for Green Bay), but I said Steelers before the season started and I'm sticking with it.

Steelers 17 - Packers 13

While on topic, I just need to comment on all of the Brett Favre/Packers/Aaron Rodgers talk I've heard all week. Who cares? The guy's played three seasons away from Green Bay already, when is enough enough? Do you really think they're talking about Brett Favre at all in the Packers locker room? While I don't only doubt Favre's impact the last two weeks, I don't think it's anything they've discussed, thought about, or even noticed for at least two years now! It's not like this is 2008 and Rodgers is still climbing out from under Favre's shadow, it's old news!

I keep hearing how Rodgers seeks Favre's approval and advice...really? Favre hasn't been to a Super Bowl in well over a decade, Aaron Rodger's was in high school when the Packers were whipped up by the Broncos in Super Bowl XXXII. Even when they were teammates Favre wasn't the mentor Rodgers could have used...why is he expected to be now? I just think it's outrageous that Favre's name is even being mentioned this week, and I'm insulted for Aaron Rodgers for the hard work and progress he's made to give the Packers a completely new identity. Give the guy a break.


And while I have your attention, let me touch on the 2011 NBA All-Star teams. Just to recap here are your teams:

Eastern Conference:
F - LeBron James
F - Amar'e Stoudemire
C - Dwight Howard
G - Dwyane Wade
G - Derrick Rose

Bench: F - Kevin Garnett, F - Paul Pierce, F - Chris Bosh, G - Joe Johnson, G - Ray Allen, G - Rajon Rondo, C - Al Horford

Western Conference:
F - Kevin Durant
F - Carmelo Anthony
C - Yao Ming*
G - Chris Paul
G - Kobe Bryant

Bench: F/C - Pau Gasol, F/C - Tim Duncan, F - Dirk Nowitzki, F - Blake Griffin, G - Russell Westbrook, G - Manu Ginobili, G - Deron Williams

* Yao is injured and will not play, he will be replaced.

I can't really say I have a huge problem with the Eastern Conference roster. I know in my picks last week I said Andrea Bargnani and Danny Granger deserved All-Star spots, but neither one of those guys are really having off-the-charts seasons. At the same time, neither is Ray Allen. I get that he's having a very good season for the best team in the conference, but how can you select four players from the same team to be reserves? Garnett I understand, Rondo I overstand, and Pierce I can live with, but to give a spot that I think Raymond Felton really deserved to Ray Allen? It's just the rich getting richer if you ask me. I think even Carlos Boozer deserves it over Ray Allen. Either way, the guys that didn't get the nod over Allen aren't guys who are taking the league by storm so it's not really going to get much of a gripe from me.

Here's my real problem, how does 13.6 PPG, 9.4 RPG, and .72% FT's get a nod over 21.4 PPG, 15.5 RPG, and 87% FT's? I understand Tim Duncan is Tim Duncan, four rings, two MVPs, best record in the league, I understand. But Kevin Love is averaging over 21 and 15 a game...those are First-Team All-NBA numbers for Pete's sake. I'm very glad that they didn't slip up on Blake Griffin, and while Monta Ellis and Steve Nash are having remarkable seasons the right guards were selected, but Kevin Love NEEDS to take Yao's roster spot. If anyone other than Love gets this spot its a travesty. LaMarcus Aldridge is really killing it too, but Pau's deserving, Dirk's deserving, and Blake Griffin is more than deserving.

While I think Ray Felton was the only legitimate snub in the East, Love and Aldridge both deserve to be All-Stars this season. My best guess is that Pau Gasol will get the start at Center for Yao with the game being played in L.A. and that Kevin Love will get the call up. And if that's not the case then I might just boycott the game (doubtful at best).



Let me know what you think of the Super Bowl and All-Star teams, and make sure you enjoy this Super Bowl, really, cause we may not see football again for God knows how long. (Keeping my fingers crossed for a new CBA before March 3rd...)

No comments: